ICØN EVENT REGISTRATION AND DETAILS
• ICØN is thrilled to provide a weekend of high end training and performing for pre-professional dance students, ages 5-19 years old, as well as older students and professionals ages 20-23. We have a 3 day Master Class workshop with over 10 hours of Classical, Contemporary, and Theatre classes. Our Closing Gala Sunday, allows every registered entry the opportunity to perform in our closing show. Studios that register 10 or more students will also have the opportunity to perform an ensemble piece from their studio of their choosing in either the Classical or Contemporary category. We will have select winners and standout soloists perform their respective solos again for our Gala, alongside our world renowned faculty and guest performers. At the start of our workshop weekend, we hold an audition for a closing Gala piece, choreographed Sunday morning by one of our esteemed faculty members.
Our age divisions are as follows:
Ages 5-7 “First Position”
Ages 8-11 “Youth”
Ages 12-14 “Junior”
Ages 15-19 “Senior”
Ages 20-23 "Professional"
• A participant’s age for ICØN’s 2019 season is determined strictly as of January 1, 2019.
Pas De Deux, Duets, small and large Ensembles:
Add the age of all dancers and divide it by number of the dancers. Final number should be between 5 and 19.
• Participants may enter the competition as soloists, as part of an ensemble or a Pas De Deux entry, or in any combination thereof. You must be registered with our Workshop Convention in order to compete.
• Participants may enter the competition either representing a school, as an independent student without a school affiliation, or as an individual dancer with school affiliation.
• Participants are welcome to register at multiple Semi-Final locations (subject to space availability at each location).
Classical Ballet category at any regional Semi-Final, dancers are encouraged to select from our Classical Ballet Variation List.
Contemporary Pointe: A contemporary ballet/neoclassical solo performed en pointe.
Contemporary/Open: Contemporary and modern choreography; may be barefoot, or in soft ballet shoes, dance socks, or lyrical footwear.
PLEASE NOTE: “Youth” age participants, as well as 12 year old Junior participants, are strongly encouraged to participate on demi-pointe and/or appropriately modify their variations.
By the request of the many theater facilities administrations, and in order to comply with fire code regulations and security considerations, a maximum of 2 representatives per school (including teachers and school/studio directors) are allowed backstage - AT OPEN STAGE only! There will be no exceptions.
ICØN reserves the right to make photo and/or video recordings at any time during any ICØN event. This includes, but is not limited to, the recordings of master classes, participants’ rehearsals or performances during the competition, or any activities in the venue lobby or backstage. By participating in ICØN, participants and their parents and/or legal guardians give their express permission for ICON to make any photo/video recordings at any time. Also, by participating in ICØN, participants and their parents or legal guardians give ICØN their express permission to use any such photo/video recordings (including those containing their name or likeness) for ICØN’s promotional purposes (including any uses in print, online, or in social media).
• When applying, participants’ applications for registration are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. Registration will close when a venue has reached its maximum capacity. Any additional applications will be placed on the Waiting List for that venue. If additional spaces become available, applications on the Waiting List will be processed in the order in which they were received. If you are on the Wait List – payment is not required and will not be accepted.
PLEASE NOTE: placement on the Waiting List does not guarantee registration.
• All updates, including TBD entries, MUST be received no later than by 2PM (Pacific Standard Time, USA) on the WEDNESDAY preceding the competition weekend.
• Deadline for music submission (or music changes) is TWO WEEKS prior to the competition.
PAYMENTS AND PAYMENT DEADLINES
For your convenience, we have two registration options:
1. Register your dancer and pay your fees in full - this means you are 100% registered, and we look forward to seeing you Spring 2019! If completed by our Early Registration Date, October 1, the savings will go directly to you.
2. Register your dancer and pay a $100 registration “deposit” fee (per workshop entry) - this means you are secured a spot, however you will need to complete your payment 60 days before competition and you do not qualify for any early registration savings. Competition entries are also not included. This may be paid by check through our Dance Comp Genie site.
IN ORDER TO RESERVE SPACE AT ANY LOCATION, ICØN MUST RECEIVE A REGISTRATION FEE DEPOSIT OF $100 (per dancer, per location).
(This is non-refundable, and ONLY transferable, minus $50 processing fee, to 2020 season due to a dancer’s injury with a Doctor’s note).
The final competition schedule will only include participants who paid balance completely no later then 60 days before competition date. We unfortunately cannot accommodate any expectations due to limited space.
If your account is not paid in full in 60 days before the competition date, your registration will be removed. Please check below for the Refunds policy.
Registration Fees and Refunds
*Save with Early Registration by October 1.
“First Position” (5-7 years old) $195 (early) $245 (full)
“Youth” (8-11) $245 (early) $295 (full)
“Junior” (12-14) $245 (early) $295 (full)
“Senior” (15-19) $245 (early) $295 (full)
"Professional" (20-23) $245 (early) $295 (full)
Teacher Classes: $290 (early) $340 (full)
Sunday Gala Tickets: $15 register here ($25 at door) Proceeds from the Closing Gala will be donated to charities working to further dance education in at risk communities.
1-Day Convention Rates are available at the door, barring venue is not SOLD OUT.
*ICØN does offer free entries for Teacher Classes based on number of entries from your studio. Register 10-20 students for 1 Teacher, 21-39 for 2 Teachers, 40-59 for 3 Teachers, 60+ for 4 Teachers. Please inquire at firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
*Teacher Registration Includes access to all student classes and free entry to our Gala.
*Classical, Contemporary Pointe, or Contemporary/Open Solo - $105 for each solo entry
*Classical Full length Pas de Deux - $105 per dancer, per entry
*Contemporary Pas de Deux - $60 per dancer, per entry
*Duet/Trio - $60 per dancer, per entry
* Large Ensembles (4+ dancers) - $45 per dancer, per entry
*Concert-Length Ensemble (15+ dancers) 10 minutes maximum $85 per dancer
All registration fees from Regional Events are non transferable.
RETURNED CHECK FEES
All checks returned for insufficient funds will be assessed a $35.00 fee.
Full Credit, less $25 admin fee per dancer, is applied for the following season or additional city with a doctors note. Doctor's note must be forwarded to the office within seven days of start of event to apply credit.
No credit given without signed doctors note. Please communicate to the office as soon as possible if we need to change our competition lineup.
Repertoire List, Time Limits & Props
Classical Repertoire List
To participate in ICØN’s Classical Ballet category, participants are strongly encouraged to select a variation from the Classical Repertoire List below. ICØN rules allow for “Youth” participants’ teachers to make slight changes to the original, classical choreography in order to accommodate a student’s specific technical level.
All Repertoire that is in public domain may be performed.
If you have been granted the right to perform a particular variation that is not in public domain, please contact ICØN administration.
Ballet – (Composer/Choreographer)
Diana and Acteon
Flower Festival in Genzano
Pas de Quatre
Grand Pas Classique
Satanella: Carnival of Venice
The Flames of Paris
The Fairy Doll
La Fille Mal Gardée
The Sleeping Beauty
The Pharaoh’s Daughter
• Classical Variation, Contemporary Ballet (En Pointe) OR Contemporary/Open Solo: Maximum 2 min. and 45 sec. (2:45)
Classical Pas de Deux: Maximum 6 minutes (6:00) (Adagio and Coda only)
Contemporary Pas de Deux: Maximum 3 minutes and 30 seconds (3:30)
Duet/Trio: 2-3 members: Maximum 3 minutes and 00 seconds (3:00)
4-9 members: Maximum 3 minutes and 30 seconds (3:30)
10+ members: Maximum 5 minutes (5:00)
CONCERT LENGTH WORK ENSEMBLE (15+ dancers) Maximum 10 minutes
• Please note that all props that participants wish to use are used at the participants’ own risk. Icon is not responsible for any injury or incident resulting from a participant’s use of props of their choice.
• Backstage space is often limited, and props may not fit in the allotted space. We ask choreographers to respect this circumstance when making their pieces and limit the use of props to the absolute minimum.
The winners in the Classical Ballet, Contemporary Pointe, and Contemporary/Open Dance categories may be announced 1st, 2nd, and 3rd at the judges’ discretion as well as a Top Pas De Deux, and Top Overall Ensemble.
For all age divisions, Male and Female participants will compete separately unless there are less than 6 male participants. In that case, for the purposes of placement male and female participants will combined, but a separate Best Male Dancer award may be presented at the discretion of the jury.
An “ICØNIC” award for Youth, Junior, and Senior will be presented to a dancer (both male and female where applicable) who excels in both stage and studio. This student will be given a scholarship to attend our workshop on full scholarship for the next season, as well as an opportunity to perform in our closing Gala.
The ICØN jury reserves the right not to present all of the proposed awards.
The scoring system consists of two elements - artistic and technical - and is evaluated on a 100- point system. Each judge’s scores are the average of the technical and artistic marks. The total score is the average of scores given by all judges (there are usually three to four judges at each event), all from different backgrounds. In addition to providing a numerical score for each participant’s performance, judges may offer personal comments on the score sheet, to help guide participants in their training. Scoring is adjusted to students’ individual technical levels.
Score sheets are available for pick-up immediately following the Closing Gala.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are not planning to pick up your score sheets please email us, and bring a self- addressed, stamped envelope to the ICØN Registration Desk, so that ICØN can mail your score sheets to you.
Inclement Weather and Unforeseen Circumstance Policy
If the ICØN Dance faculty is able to arrive to the host event, the event will go on regardless of the weather conditions. If an extenuating weather or unforeseen circumstance arises (including but not limited to weather, catastrophic event, Venue issues) and ICØN Dance cancels an event and it is NOT rescheduled within the current season (up to 11 months), FULL Refunds will be issued. If the event is rescheduled, no refunds will be given. Should an extenuating circumstance arise, please check the website and/or your email address that you registered under for any event updates. We encourage you to exercise caution and make any necessary travel arrangements so that you will not have any problems making it to the event. Furthermore, no refunds will be given on any ICØN Dance expenses. Please keep an eye on the local and national weather forecasts so that you are prepared for any inclement weather. In the event of poor conditions, ICØN Dance will put an announcement on our website and social media with an update in the EXTREME case of cancellation.
PHOTOGRAPHY AND VIDEOGRAPHY
The use of ANY electronic device for photography and videography is STRICTLY PROHIBITED during all performances as well as in dressing rooms and lavatories. Failure to comply with this rule may result in a point deduction to the act being recorded and/or photographed as well as confiscation of the recordings and/or photographs. It is the responsibility of the Studio Owner/Director to inform their students and parents of the NO Photo/Video rule. All contestants grant permission for ICØN DANCE to use photography and videography of their performances for promotional purposes including advertising, publicity and posting on social media outlets in any capacity.
BY Registering for our ICØN Dance Event, you agree to all these terms.